Keeping Your Air Ducts Clean
To minimize the accumulation of dirt and debris as well as microbiological growth in the ducts of your home, you need to:
· Ensure the filter system is well-maintained.
· Use filters with MERV 6 or higher rating, which indicates the filter’s efficiency in trapping airborne particles.
· Schedule regular maintenance of the HVAC system.
· Practice good housekeeping in all occupied spaces.
· Locate the air intakes in areas that are not contaminated.
· Keep all the components of the HVAC system clean and dry.
Open the access points to the duct to permit complete inspection and cleaning of the system.
· Use only HEPA equipment for air vacuuming.
· Use negative pressure to clean the ducts to lessen the release of dust and dirt into occupied spaces.
· Protect the air duct system by being careful not to cut holes in the ductwork unless absolutely necessary.
· Protect the carpet and household furnishings.
· Combine powerful vacuum cleaning with gentle, controlled brushing to effectively lift any settled materials from the duct.
· Equipment for vacuum cleaning and collection is placed outside the building. In case equipment for vacuum collection is inside, HEPA filtration is used for vacuum discharge.
· Conduct air changes at least 10 times in the home after the Santa Clarita air duct cleaning has been finished and prior to allowing occupants to re-enter.
· If biocide application is necessary, use only products that are EPA-registered. Product label directions must be followed completely.
· If using chemicals (sanitizers or deodorizers), ensure these substances are washed off or removed completely before allowing occupants to return to their home.
· Avoid the use of sealants on interior ductwork that has been contaminated.
· Remove all porous materials with water damage or bio-contamination. They cannot be cleaned effectively and so should be replaced.
If you’ve decided to hire Santa Clarita air duct cleaning service, it is best to schedule the day/time of the duct cleaning when the home or the space to be cleaned is not occupied. Also, as a word of caution, be careful of air duct cleaning Santa Clarita companies that offer inferior service using unprofessional machines. Professional air duct cleaning require powerful equipment with various types of attachments and hoses to reach all sections of the ductwork.
If Santa Clarita air duct cleaning is not done properly, the results can be more harmful than beneficial. Cleaning the ducts would disturb the inert layer of dust in the ductworks so it is critical to remove all residues during the cleaning. Otherwise, the dislodged dust will become airborne and will affect the indoor air. Santa Clarita homeowners should get expert advice and learn as much as they can on the advantages and disadvantages of having the ducts cleaned before hiring a Santa Clarita air duct cleaning contractor. The same applies if you are also considering hiring Santa Clarita dryer vent cleaning, Santa Clarita vent cleaning and Santa Clarita furnace cleaning services, all of which are typically offered by duct cleaning companies.
Is it Worthwhile to Hire a Professional?
Even if you’ve found a reputable Santa Clarita air duct cleaning contractor, you may still be wondering if you should go ahead with having your air ducts cleaned. You can do what many other homeowners do to help them decide – take a look for yourself. Get a flashlight and a mirror and check your ducts. Unscrew some of your wall vents and use a mirror to inspect the ducts for molds or any heavy deposits of dust or dirt.
The significant presence of those substances would indicate a very dirty ductwork that needs to be handled by a Santa Clarita air duct cleaning company. If the return grilles are simply dusty, you can easily clean them. It doest necessarily mean the ducts need professional Santa Clarita air duct cleaning. Also, if a household member is suffering from respiratory problems like asthma or allergies, it would be beneficial to hire Santa Clarita air duct cleaning.